Struggling with a lack of energy and focus? Look no further than magnesium supplements! Magnesium is an essential mineral responsible for many vital bodily functions, such as muscle growth, nerve function, heart rhythm regulation, and bone health. Unfortunately, most diets fall short of providing enough magnesium to maintain good overall health.
Welcome to our guide on the 8 best magnesium supplements that can help boost your energy and focus – so you can stay healthy without sacrificing vitality.
A magnesium supplement may be the key to unlocking your inner potential. Adding to your daily routine may contribute to longevity by supporting various bodily functions and promoting overall health.
So let’s get started finding one that meets all of your needs. With increased energy levels, mental clarity, and improved well-being, you can make a positive change in your life! In this guide, we will explore some of the best supplements available on the market.
What Is Magnesium?
Magnesium is a remarkable chemical element, represented by Mg and atomic number 12. Its glossy silver-white composition makes it one of the most plentiful elements in our planet’s crust.
Magnesium also plays an essential role in biology, since it acts as a crucial part of numerous enzymes while participating in different cellular activities.
Magnesium stands out due to its remarkable lightweight quality. In fact, it’s one of the lightest metals with a density of 1.74 g/cm³- making it perfect for creating alloys that are lighter in weight and applicable across numerous industries, most notably aerospace engineering.
Mg is a highly reactive element that quickly forms compounds with numerous other elements.
For instance, when it comes into contact with oxygen, magnesium oxide – a white powdery compound – is produced; and when exposed to water, magnesium hydroxide, and hydrogen gas emerge as the result.
In the human body, magnesium is an essential mineral that is involved in numerous biological processes. It plays a role in the production of energy, the synthesis of DNA and RNA, the regulation of muscle and nerve function, and the maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
Leafy green vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and legumes all contain substantial amounts of magnesium. Unfortunately, though, this essential nutrient is often lacking in people struggling with medical conditions like diabetes or gastrointestinal disorders as well as those who frequently drink alcohol.
8 Best Magnesium Supplement Brands in 2023
Pure Encapsulations – Best Overall
Pure Encapsulations Magnesium supplement is an excellent choice for constipation, supporting heart health, overall health and nutrient metabolism, and energy and bone support due to its activation of enzymes needed for various physiological functions, metabolism and utilization of essential nutrients, and energy production.
What sets Pure Encapsulations apart is their commitment to pure quality, using only premium ingredients sourced from trusted suppliers and leaving out unnecessary additives such as wheat, eggs, tree nuts, gluten, artificial colors, and preservatives, among others.
Purely Optimal Premium Magnesium Complex – Best For Heart and Muscles
Looking for a supplement that gives you more bang for your buck? Look no further than Purely Optimal’s Complex, which contains 500mg of pure magnesium blend with six of the most beneficial types for maximum absorption.
Not only does this supplement help support stronger bones, muscles, and heart, but it also helps you sleep like a baby by calming your mind and relieving stress.
And when you choose Purely Optimal, you can trust that you’re getting pure quality and optimal results, as each product is made in the USA in a GMP-certified facility and is 3rd party lab tested. Plus, with every purchase, you’re helping families and changing lives through their partnership with Vitamin Angels.
BiOptimizers – Best For Sleep
Stop searching for a magnesium supplement – BiOptimizers have it all! With seven distinct forms of magnesium, including bisglycinate, malate, chelate, aspartate, and more; you’re guaranteed to acquire the full variety of advantages. Get ready to experience life-changing results with this superior product.
Their unique Magnesium Breakthrough 4.0 formula not only provides relief from magnesium deficiency but also helps improve memory, metabolism, and mood, and even eases chronic pain and migraines.
What’s more? Their natural ingredients are quickly absorbed so you can get the most out of taking our supplement without worrying about any adverse effects.
Get ready to say goodbye to stress with improved health when you use Magnesium Breakthrough 4.0 – your body will thank you for it.
Klaire Labs – Best for Anxiety
Magnesium not only helps you have a more restful sleep, but its calming effects on the nervous system could potentially reduce anxiety.
A review of eighteen related research studies provides evidence that magnesium can decrease signs of worry and stress. Still, further exploration is necessary to strengthen these findings.
If you’re looking for quality and safety, Klaire Labs Complex is your go-to option. It has been rigorously tested by third parties, and created in a CGMP-certified facility free from artificial additives, flavors, or preservatives – so it’s the ideal choice.
Their capsule is uniquely formulated to combine chelated magnesium glycinate and magnesium oxide for maximum efficacy.
Magnesium glycinate supplement helps you achieve a night of restful sleep, while the clinically tested form of magnesium oxide addresses anxiety. They suggest consuming one capsule between 1-3 times daily or as directed by your healthcare provider for optimal results.
MegaFood Magnesium – Best for Leg Cramps
Although the research is inconclusive, several people have reported that magnesium has provided relief from their muscle cramps. If you’d like to see if it can help alleviate your nighttime leg cramps as well, why not give MegaFood a try?
MegaFood is a proud Certified B Corporation, which was bestowed upon us by the esteemed nonprofit organization, B Lab. This recognition means that our company has been thoroughly audited and meets stringent criteria for accountability, transparency, and social and environmental performance.
MegaFood’s supplement goes beyond the norm with its testing for over 125 pesticides and herbicides, as well as being quality-verified and certified non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free. Each tablet not only contains 50 mg of magnesium; it also boasts an extra nutritious punch from organic spinach which is a great source of this essential mineral!
MegaFood’s Magnesium has earned rave reviews for its effectiveness in alleviating leg cramps. Even better, it can be taken without food – not to mention just before bedtime. This makes it the ideal solution for addressing those pesky nighttime muscle spasms and getting a good night’s sleep.
Nature’s Bounty – Best for Athletes
If you’re searching for an ideal supplement to help strengthen your bones and muscles, Nature’s Bounty is the answer! Each tablet contains 500mg of this essential mineral that helps ensure strong muscle function.
Additionally, it plays a vital role in nerve impulses, energy metabolism, and even protein formation. Get the support you need with one simple solution – Nature’s Bounty!
And you don’t have to worry about artificial flavors or sweeteners – our supplement is free from them, and it’s gluten-free too. With Nature’s Bounty, you can trust that you’re getting a supplement of unsurpassed quality and value, made with the latest breakthroughs in nutritional science and the finest ingredients.
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate – Best for Women
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is a powdered magnesium formula that can support whole-body wellness by promoting heart health, muscle, and bone health, brain function, and lung health. This crucial mineral is involved in more than 600 enzymatic reactions in the body, making it essential for optimal health.
One of the key benefits of this formula is that it can help promote restful sleep and muscle relaxation, making it an ideal choice for active individuals who need to unwind after a long day. Additionally, it supports a healthy heart rate and rhythm and helps maintain blood pressure levels that are already within a normal range.
Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate is NSF Certified for Sport, meaning it has been tested for quality and safety to support high-performance nutrition programs.
Thorne is a trusted brand that is chosen by champions and trusted by over 100 professional teams. Thorne is also the only supplement manufacturer to collaborate with Mayo Clinic on wellness research and content and is a proud partner of 11 U.S. Olympic Teams.
This magnesium formula is gluten-free and made with high-quality ingredients to support optimal health and wellness. With Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate, you can trust that you’re getting a premium supplement that can help you achieve your wellness goals.
Trace Minerals Mega Mag – Best for Immune System and Weight Loss
Have you been diagnosed with a magnesium deficiency? Trace Mineral Mega Mag is an ideal solution. This liquid supplement offers 95% of the DV of magnesium in the form of magnesium chloride, which has often proved efficacious for addressing low blood levels.
Moreover, this convenient formula contains no artificial ingredients or added sugars; instead, it is composed entirely of natural sources such as magnesium, chloride, sodium, potassium sulfate, and boron. Try it today to enjoy its health benefits!
Trace Minerals are thoroughly scrutinized by Labdoor and crafted in a CGMP-certified facility. This product may have an intense taste, so it is highly recommended to mix the liquid with water, juice, or food for improved flavoring.
The Benefits and Side Effects of Magnesium
Should I take magnesium supplements? Yes. Magnesium is an essential and invaluable mineral needed for human physiological processes to function efficiently. It is important to maintain adequate levels of magnesium for optimal health. Here are some of the benefits and side effects of magnesium:
- It is vital for keeping bones and teeth healthy. It helps to regulate calcium levels and aids in the absorption of vitamin D, which are both essential for strong bones.
- It plays a critical role in regulating blood sugar and maintaining optimal health. It aids in the metabolism of glucose, affects insulin sensitivity, and encourages efficient insulin secretion – all essential for managing your blood sugar levels.
- It has been proven to have a soothing result on the nervous system and can diminish symptoms of both depression and anxiety. With magnesium, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your mental health is being supported.
- It is key to soothing muscle cramps and spasms, as well as aiding in proper muscular function and exercise performance. Moreover, it can also help improve sleep quality by encouraging relaxation while lowering stress levels!
For certain individuals, ingesting high doses of supplements may lead to a bout of diarrhea.
- Taking magnesium supplements can lead to nausea and vomiting, particularly when taken on an empty stomach. To minimize potential side effects, it is best to take the supplement with food or consult a doctor for further advice.
- Taking magnesium supplements can lead to unwanted gastrointestinal side effects, such as bloating and gas.
- For those with low blood pressure, Magnesium supplementation can be incredibly advantageous; however, it can also have an adverse effect on individuals whose blood pressure is already naturally too low.
- Before taking magnesium supplements, it is essential to have a conversation with your healthcare provider if you are on any other medications. This is because the intake of certain antibiotics and diuretics can interact negatively when taken in conjunction with magnesium supplements.
Ultimately, magnesium is essential for our well-being and has multiple advantages. Although it can be deemed harmless to the majority of people, it’s still necessary to consult with a healthcare professional before taking supplemental doses of magnesium in case there are any existing medical issues or drugs taken.
How to Choose a Magnesium Supplement
After deciding which Mg supplement is most suitable for your needs, it’s time to search for what product will best meet these criteria:
- High bioavailability: Above all, if you’re consuming a magnesium supplement daily, it should be easy on the stomach. A higher bioavailability level typically means an improved result for long-term usage.
- Manageable format: If you are taking a magnesium supplement, the number of capsules needed for daily dosage will depend on its design. For some, popping three to four pills won’t be an issue; however, for those who find it bothersome, it might be better to look into other options with more manageable serving sizes.
- Reasonable price: When shopping for magnesium supplements, you’ll notice a wide range of prices. Basic stand-alone formulations are more cost-effective than blends that contain other nutrients or botanicals to enhance their efficacy. To ensure you’re getting the most bang for your buck, look for premium products with clean ingredients and no GMOs, gluten, dairy, soy, or major food allergens when possible.
- Safe dosing: Lastly, unless otherwise advised by your physician, opt for a dietary supplement that is at or below the tolerable upper intake level of magnesium.
To reduce the chance of any negative consequences, your healthcare practitioner should always be consulted if higher doses are deemed necessary for medical purposes.
Delivering science-backed doses of magnesium without unnecessary additives, these supplements are the crème de la crème when it comes to convenience and efficiency.
Forms of Magnesium
- Bisglycinate: The combination of magnesium and two glycine amino acids, magnesium bisglycinate (also sometimes called magnesium glycinate) is one of the most bioavailable forms of magnesium. The combination is easy for the body to absorb, making it gentle on the stomach and GI tract. There are some other forms of magnesium, which we’ll cover below, that are taken specifically to get the bowels moving at high doses. This is not Mg glycinate’s primary design (although all forms of magnesium support digestive motility to some degree). Instead, the amino acid glycine shows the most promise in helping promote high-quality sleep, making a nightly magnesium bisglycinate supplement a good choice for healthy magnesium levels and more restful slumber.
- Chloride: a blend of magnesium and chlorine, can be extracted from brine or seawater. It has a relatively high bioavailability and is a solid supplement to take if you’re just looking to boost your dietary intake of magnesium.
- Citrate: A combination of magnesium oxide and citric acid, magnesium citrate can help promote healthy bowel movements. Since it also has a relatively high bioavailability, it, too, can be used as a daily magnesium supplement in the right dose. This form of magnesium dissolves readily in water, making it a popular pick for magnesium powders and liquids.
- Oxide: The most common (and least expensive) form of magnesium, this one is formed by combining magnesium and oxygen ions. This simple form has a lower absorption rate and is most often taken to encourage bowel movements, and acts as a helpful buffer for other magnesium forms.
- Malate: Together, magnesium and malic acid are relatively bioavailable and seem to stick around in the bloodstream, for longer than some other forms of magnesium. There is also some anecdotal evidence magnesium malate can promote muscle comfort, but clinical results are mixed.
- Sulfate: The magnesium and sulfate pairing can be used to replenish electrolytes and encourage bowel movements, and it’s often found in supplements and other remedies like Epsom salts. (Fun fact: The man who brought magnesium to Western medicine was said to be a farmer working in Epsom, England, who noticed that the salts in his well water had soothing effects on his cattle. These days, many people take Epsom salt baths to soothe muscles, though there isn’t much research to back this up.
Magnesium users have seen astonishing results in their lives, such as improved moods and reduced anxiety and depression symptoms. Furthermore, users report that magnesium supplements can help reduce muscle cramps and spasms, improve sleep quality, lower blood pressure levels, and minimize migraine intensity & frequency.
However, some users have reported experiencing gastrointestinal side effects such as diarrhea and stomach upset. Therefore, as with any supplement, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before adding magnesium to your regimen.
Foods High in Magnesium
Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a vital role in our health and well-being. Incorporating magnesium-rich foods into your diet can have a wide array of positive benefits, so here are some delicious sources you should consider adding to your plate!:
- Dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and Swiss chard
- Nuts and seeds such as almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds
- Legumes such as black beans, chickpeas, and lentils
- Whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, and oatmeal
- Fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel
It is essential to remember that the amount of magnesium contained in food can differ depending on elements such as soil quality, farming methods, and processing techniques.
As a result, it’s strongly advised to consume a variety of foods with high levels of magnesium to guarantee adequate amounts are consumed.
Furthermore, some people like those suffering from digestive disorders or taking certain medications may have difficulty absorbing enough magnesium from their diet alone; consequently, they might require supplementation.
The recommended daily intake of magnesium for adults is around 400-420mg, so it’s important to know the concentration of magnesium in foods to ensure you’re getting enough.
Here are some examples of the magnesium concentration in common magnesium-rich foods:
- Spinach (1 cup): 157mg
- Almonds (1 ounce): 80mg
- Avocado (1 medium): 58mg
- Black beans (1 cup): 120mg
- Dark chocolate (1 square): 24mg
- Salmon (3 ounces): 26mg
It’s worth noting that the bioavailability of magnesium can vary depending on the food source and other factors, so it’s important to maintain a varied diet and possibly supplement if necessary to ensure adequate magnesium intake.
Dosage and Usage
While magnesium is naturally found in many foods, some individuals may require additional magnesium supplementation to meet their daily needs. Here are some guidelines for using magnesium supplements:
The recommended daily intake of magnesium varies depending on age and gender. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) recommends the following daily intake levels:
- Children 1-3 years: 80 mg
- Children 4-8 years: 130 mg
- Children 9-13 years: 240 mg
- Teens 14-18 years (boys): 410 mg
- Teens 14-18 years (girls): 360 mg
- Adults (men): 400-420 mg
- Adults (women): 310-320 mg
- Pregnant women: 350-400 mg
- Breastfeeding women: 310-360 mg
- Adults 50 years and older: 420-450 mg
Magnesium supplements are available in various forms, such as magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate, and magnesium glycinate.
The amount of magnesium in each supplement can vary, so it is essential to read the label carefully and follow the recommended dosage instructions.
How to use:
- It is best to take magnesium supplements with food to enhance absorption and reduce the risk of stomach upset.
- Avoid taking magnesium supplements with other supplements or medications that can interfere with absorption, such as calcium or iron supplements, proton pump inhibitors, or antibiotics.
- It is best to start with a low dose of magnesium and gradually increase it as needed to avoid digestive discomfort or diarrhea.
- Always follow the dosage instructions provided by the supplement manufacturer or your healthcare provider.
If you experience any adverse effects or have any concerns about taking magnesium supplements, talk to your healthcare provider.
Overall, magnesium supplements can be a safe and effective way to meet your daily magnesium needs, but it is essential to use them correctly and follow recommended dosages to avoid any potential side effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the Best Form of Magnesium to Take?
Magnesium glycinate is the most assimilable form of magnesium, and due to its bond with glycine (a non-essential amino acid), it’s also less likely to cause digestive troubles. It has been deemed a safe choice for those attempting to restore their long-term lack of this particular mineral.
What is the Healthiest Form of Magnesium Supplement?
Magnesium Glycinate. This means that magnesium is combined with the amino acid glycine
What Magnesium Do Doctors Recommend?
For maximum absorption, it is suggested to take forms of magnesium such as citrate, gluconate, or lactate. Time-release preparations may further improve the absorption rate. When in doubt, always consult with your healthcare provider before taking any form of supplement.
Is it Better to Take Magnesium Citrate or Magnesium Glycinate?
Magnesium citrate is especially effective for those who struggle with constipation, while the glycinate form has been known to provide relief from anxiety, insomnia, chronic stress, and inflammatory conditions.
Who Should Not Take Magnesium?
Before consuming any supplement, including magnesium, it is essential to consult with a healthcare provider. People suffering from kidney issues should be especially mindful of potential side effects, and their physician will advise on how safe taking magnesium may be after assessing one’s health conditions and the medications they are presently using.
If you can’t meet your dietary needs through nutrition alone, supplements are a great option. However, since the FDA doesn’t regulate them to the same extent as medications it’s essential that you find trustworthy brands with quality testing assurances. To take the guesswork out of selecting one, why not choose from our list above? You won’t be disappointed!
Are you looking for the highest-quality magnesium supplement? Pure Encapsulations Magnesium is here to help! Not only can it support your heart health and nutrient metabolism, but also give you an extra boost of energy and bone strength.
What makes this option stand out from other supplements on the market is their dedication to using high-grade ingredients that have been carefully sourced as well as leaving behind unnecessary additives. With Pure Encapsulations, enjoy all of the magnesium’s benefits without any fillers or preservatives!
Are you looking for a robust supplement that won’t break the bank? Look no further than Purely Optimal Premium Complex!
This remarkable product provides your body with six of nature’s most efficient magnesium compounds, enabling stronger bones and muscles while calming your mind to improve sleep quality.
What’s more, this dietary supplement maintains a proper heartbeat rhythm and eases stress levels so that you can live a healthier lifestyle.
Are you on the hunt for a magnesium supplement that can promote restful sleep? Look no further than BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough 4.0! This unique formula contains seven distinct forms of magnesium, such as bisglycinate, malate, chelate, and aspartate – providing not only relief from deficiencies but also helping to improve memory retention, metabolism rates, moods, and even chronic pain or migraines.
Don’t wait any longer to experience better sleep – get your hands on this powerful product today! Their natural ingredients are quickly absorbed, so you can get the most out of taking their supplement without worrying about any adverse effects.
If you’re uncertain of the appropriate dosage or type for your individual needs, make sure to consult with a healthcare provider who can offer more tailored advice.