My ten-year-old niece is autistic and has difficult-to-manage symptoms. She has few friends because she’s not comfortable with touching and jokes.
I started researching the advantages of sulforaphane as soon as I found out that this substance has similar effects to resveratrol on autism.
My niece is now happier and more adapted, plus I’ve discovered how to include sulforaphane in my diet, and how to help my family, friends, and my clients.
I’ve recommended supplementation that includes active myrosinase to clients who’ve complained about joint pain, difficulties coping with post-cancer recovery, weak immune systems, and skin issues. All of them are now happier and healthier, and so can you.
Read the article below to find out which the best supplementation is. I’ll tell you all about this substance’s side effects and benefits, how it affects the liver, and how you can increase your daily intake. Read along!
- 1. Avmacol
- 2. Thorne Research Crucera-SGS
- 3. BroccoMax
- 4. Source Naturals
- 5. BrocElite Plus
- 6. Best Naturals
- 7. Swanson
Table of Contents
What is Sulforaphane?
Sulforaphane, aka broccoli sulfur, is a powerful chemical compound in cruciferous vegetables. It is an isothiocyanate hydrolyzed from glucosinolate glucoraphanin when the enzyme myrosinase is present. This enzyme activates when you chew, cut, or squash these cruciferous veggies.
Every time you chew a piece of broссoli or cabbage, you activate this almost magical-like potion that has been shown to decrease the risk of cancer cell growth, to fight against dangerous inflammation, plus boost your heart, gut, and brain care. It suppresses and blocks the activation of transcription factors such as NF-Kappa B. One thing that keeps popping up in these studies as a significant factor in the development of cancer is how often people eat cruciferous vegetables. I wasn’t really a fan.
The content of foods varies depending on what you eat. Cruciferous vegetables have the biggest amount.
If you’re wondering how much sulforaphane in broссoli you can eat, one cup of it has 30 mg.
SUMMARY: It is a chemical compound found in cruciferous vegetables with plenty of effects on your brain care, digestive system, and bones.
7 Best Sulforaphane Supplement (List for 2022)
The first two brands in this beginner’s guide have been part of various clinical trials to attest to their effectiveness, which is why I trust them the most. The other five brands are quality and with good ratings on Amazon and other forums.
Choose the nutrition you need depending on your purpose. Consider the concentration, the high-grade ingredients, and whether certain nutrition fits your lifestyle.
1. Avmacol Production System (SPS) – Extra Strength
Avmacol is a doctor-developed supplementation as Dr. Brian Cornblatt from Johns Hopkins contributed to the research.
Dr. Cornblatt has spent ten+ years in the study, and Avmacol Immune has been shown to work in a series of clinical studies, including in 2018’s research regarding autism in kids.
- Avmacol has another stellar endorsement from the famous Dr. Rhonda Patrick (video, books), who finds that Avmacol autism is the top substitute for sprouts.
- Healthy ingredients. Avmacol is a combination of broссoli and sprout extract, plus vitamin C and wasabi for added micronutrients. This product has no gluten, and the easy-to-swallow capsules have BPA-free packaging.
- 35% bioavailability. Avmacol reviews show this is a strong product because the broссoli-derived ingredients contain glucoraphanіn, the enzyme that helps you produce more.
Summary: Avmacol is developed together with a reputable scientist from Johns Hopkins and has proved its worth in several clinical studies. This product contains top ingredients, and it’s one of Dr. Rhonda Patrick’s top choices. If you decide to make a purchase, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you.
2. Thorne Research Crucera-SGS High Quality Antioxidant
Thorne Research has also proven its worth in clinical trials and has the backing of reputable institutions such as Johns Hopkins University, Mayo Clinic, and a dozen US sports teams.
- Clean ingredients. This product is gluten-free; it has no artificial colors and preservatives, or GMOs. The main ingredient is 50mg glucosinolate.
- The equivalent of two pounds of cooked broccoli, according to the official slogan. However, this product has no myrosіnase, which means it has a lower anti-bacterial bioavailability, most likely 10%.
Summary: Thorne Research is a trustworthy brand that has proved its worth in various clinical trials from Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic. It has clean ingredients, but a short bioavailability. The only ingredient is Sulforaphane glucosinolate (SGS) with no gluten or GMOs.
3. Jarrow Formulas BroccoMax – Supports Liver
Brocco Max is made by a German company with a good reputation in the world of fitness supplementation. It uses clean ingredients, and its brocсoli supplements are made in a cGMP facility, meaning they’re tested rigorously for purity, strength, and high-grade.
- Good formula. The veggie capsules are brocсoli-based. They contain 30 mg glucosinolate extracted (without solvents) from broccoli seeds, as well as myrosіnase and calcium ascorbate. These hypoallergenic pills have no traces of soy, gluten, eggs, dairy, fish, or nuts.
- Around 35% bioavailability. The combination of 30mg glucosinolate and myrosіnase ensures you get great bioavailability. However, the blend is proprietary, and you can’t know this figure for sure.
And the ingredients are encapsulated for delayed release
Summary: BroccoMax is a reliable combination of glucosinolate and myrosіnase. This effective product boasts top ratings from happy customers.
4. Source Naturals
Source Naturals gets its inspiration from nature, and its Broccoli Sprouts try to mimic the natural composition of brocсoli.
It is a research-backed supplement, devised with organic ingredients, and no GMOs. This product is top for people who undergo a cleanse or detoxification and need additional liver maintenance.
- 2,000 mcg. Although the enzyme intake is five times higher than your average serving of brocсoli, the lack of myrosіnase enzymes means this product has a shorter bioavailability of around 10%.
- Clean, hypoallergenic ingredients. This product contains organic, non-GMO ingredients, although you might see some thickeners on the list of ingredients. However, it has no yeast, dairy, eggs, gluten, soy, wheat, sugar, artificial colors, and aromas.
Summary: Source Naturals is an organic, GMO-free product. The glucosinolate and calcium form is effective and healthful.
5. BrocElite Plus
BrocElite Plus Sulforaphane is top for immune maintenance, joint flexibility, and mood thanks to its Stabilized™ formula.
All these benefits stem from the 5 mg of stabilized formula, which has maximum bioavailability, although it might trigger mild GI distress.
- 5mg stabilized. You would have to eat five pounds of fresh brocсoli to get this quantity of sulforaphane out of it.
- Boosts brain. The formula fights inflammation to the brain and brain plaque. Your neurons are stronger and can resist neurodegenerative illnesses.
- Joint flexibility. SNF blocks the NFKB nerve pathway that increases inflammation, and it activates the NRF2 pathway that fights inflammation. The result is minimal pain and increased mobility.
- Top ingredients. The beauty list of ingredients includes no gluten, GMOs, artificial ingredients, sugar, carbs, lactose, eggs, fish, or soy. This essential hypoallergenic product is made in the USA with capsules from Canada.
Summary: BrocElite Plus is a great choice for people who want increased mobility and reduced pain, according to multiple happy customers.
6. Best Naturals
The Best Naturals Broccoli Sprouts Extract is an affordable, high-grade product that lasts you the whole month for less than $13.
Each serving contains 1000 mg, standardized to 6% glucosinolates, and 0.3% sulforaphane.
- Clean ingredients. The only 1 ingredient in this product, with some safe thickeners like gelatin, silica, and vegetable stearate. The capsules have no artificial colors, sweeteners, flavors, preservatives, eggs, soy, or other allergenic ingredients.
- Safe and effective. This product is made in the USA. It has a GMP certification, and it’s been third-party tested for purity, potency, and freshness. Many customers have seen its effects, including decreased blood sugar levels and fewer episodes of heartburn.
Summary: It is excellent for people who need an affordable product because they don’t eat enough cruciferous veggies.
Swanson Sulforaphane from Broccoli is top to maintenance liver because it protects you from oxidative stress and toxicity. This vegetarian product uses clean ingredients, although some people might frown on the addition of thickeners.
- 400 mcg . Although this product contains the equivalent you’d get from one serving of brocсoli sprouts, it also contains no myrosіnase. The result is shorter bioavailability, but some people have noticed positive results with symptoms of autism and skin problems.
- Clean and vegetarian formula. The capsules contain just brocсoli sprout concentrate, rice flour, and hypromellose for the vegetable capsule. The product follows all the GMP guidelines.
Summary: Swanson is a clean product with plenty of positive reviews for its efficiency. The pills are rigorously tested, but some people are skeptical about their performance, considering the reduced quantity.
SUMMARY: These sulforaphane supplements are devised by trustworthy brands and have documented healing properties. Many happy Amazon customers attest to their worth, and their effectiveness is reflected in the list of ingredients.
What Are the Health Benefits of Sulforaphane? Any Side Effects?
Foods with sulforaphane have been proven effective against a wide array of illnesses because this substance boosts your levels of antioxidants; it decreases inflammation and fights toxicity.
It activates the NRF2 pathway against inflammation, which is why it’s such a powerful substance for joint pain, heart issues, and even cancer.
Popular science has praised cruciferous vegetables as a miraculous cancer cure for some time. Apparently, you need as few as three servings per week to reduce the risk of cancer by a third.
Sulforaphane from broccoli and seeds is the most effective. Some studies that ascertain its effects refer to:
- Decreased risk of cancer
- Decreased toxicity by eliminating carcinogenic substances and several types of pollutants
- Decreased inflammation that leads to a whole array of diseases
- Improved brain health and support against mental illness
- Lower risk of heart issues
- Boosted gut health
- Food high in sulforaphane improves your testosterone levels and sperm count
- Fatigue – let’s check out this Reddit discussion on sulforaphane sleep issues
The biggest problem with supplementation is the lack of enough human studies to ensure the correct dosage for safety purposes.
SUMMARY: It has been proven effective against cancer, heart, gut, and brain issues. It is a safe compound, but supplementation can trigger some mild GI distress.
Is Sulforaphane Good for the Liver?
It is good for the liver because cruciferous vegetables protect against liver toxicity, and it is naturally found in them.
Foods fight inflammation and remove toxicity.
The benefits of broccoli sprouts include getting rid of toxic substances.
This supplementation increases your antioxidant levels and dissolves airborne pollutants.
Many studies show that vegetables:
SUMMARY: All evidence points that sulforaphane helps the liver get rid of the toxic substances in your body and to protect itself better.
How Do You Increase Sulforaphane?
There are two ways to increase sulforaphane: choosing the supplementation with the biggest bioavailability and eating fresh broccoli.
Bioavailability refers to your body’s capacity to absorb. To ensure big bioavailability:
- Get enough C6H11NOS2 from your diet
- Pick a brand with myrosіnase because this enzyme turns glucoraphanіn into it
According to Johns Hopkins University, the bioavailability of supplementation is:
- 70% pure C6H11NOS2
- 35% glucoraphanin with myrosіnase
- 10% only glucoraphanіn
Another way to increase sulforaphane in your diet is to grow brocсoli at home. This is Dr. Rhonda Patrick’s preferred method, although not everyone may have time for it.
Eating your own C6H11NOS2 foods can be your great option, but remember that cooking reduces the strength of myrosinase, so it’s excellent to:
- Eat raw brocсoli. Cruciferous vegetable sulfur is highest in raw plants.
- Add raw ground mustard seeds to increase sulforaphane up to four times because these seeds contain all the myrosіnase you need
SUMMARY: You can increase C6H11NOS2 is you buy the supplementation with the biggest bioavailability, consume fresh brocсoli, or add mustard seeds to your cooked cruciferous veggies.
Avmacol vs Broccomax
Does Avmacol working, or is BroccoMax better? It’s important to choose according to your needs, so read this comparison below.
- Who made them. Avmacol is developed in combination with Dr. Brian Cornblatt from Johns Hopkins and has been proven effective in plenty of clinical studies. BroccoMax is made by a reputable German company called Jarrow in a cGMP facility.
- Endorsements. Avmacol is endorsed by public figures such as Dr. Rhonda Patrick, but BroccoMax has its supportive customers.
- Effectiveness. Avmacol is the top vegan supplementation for researchers observed an improvement in behavioral symptoms associated with autism according to a 2018 study, but BroccoMax has been shown to help a lot of people too.
- Healthy ingredients. Avmacol contains broccoli seeds and sprouts, wasabi, and vitamin C, plus no artificial ingredients. BroccoMax has clean, healthful, hypoallergenic ingredients too, but also rice maltodextrin, which has lots of carbs.
- Bioavailability. Both vegan supplementation offer about 30mg glucoraphanin in combination with myrosinase, so they have similar bioavailability of around 35%. However, Avmacol contains additional vitamin C, which has been shown to increase the bioavailability of dietary supplementation.
- Healthy ingredients. Avmacol is a combination of broссoli and sprout extract, plus vitamin C and wasabi for added micronutrients. This product has no gluten, and the easy-to-swallow capsules have BPA-free packaging.
- 35% bioavailability. Avmacol is a strong supplement because the broссoli-derived ingredients contain glucoraphanin, while wasabi is packed with myrosіnase, the enzyme that helps you produce more.
SUMMARY: Avamcol is endorsed by more clinical trials that prove its effectiveness and has fewer carbs than BroccoMax. Both vegan supplementation use high-grade ingredients and have similar bioavailability levels. Check their website.
How to Pick the Right
The first thing to consider when choosing a sulforaphane supplementation is the amount of sulforaphane you will get. This depends on the formula but also on how your body works.
The great supplementation is for those who use day-old broccoli sprouts because they’re effective and value-for-money.
Broccoli seed extract used in supplementation like Thorne Crucera is the most effective, but it’s also expensive, while mature broccoli plants have the least amount of sulforaphane.
Remember to take into account the supplements:
- Bioavailability (I already mentioned it here)
- Quality ingredients (no GMOs, no allergens, clean ingredients)
- Manufacturing facility (safety certifications, country)
- Positive reviews and endorsements (customer reviews, clinical trials, celebrity endorsements)
- User-friendliness (price, how easy it is to swallow, the customer help)
SUMMARY: Choose the top products depending on your needs. If you have serious problems, pick a supplement with the biggest concentration of sulforaphane. If you don’t have issues, but you feel like you aren’t eating enough cruciferous veggies, you can get an affordable supplementation with a smaller concentration. You can verify our authenticity from various other online resources.
Is Sulforaphane Anti Inflammatory?
Sulforaphane is a natural part of the broccoli sprout extract. It’s the compound responsible for the cancer-fighting effects. And it’s easy to see why it’s so good for you. Sulforaphane is a big antioxidant and plays a big role in fighting the bad stuff, reducing free radical damage. Free radical damage contributes to inflammation and is one of the culprits behind a whole range of illnesses including cardiovascular disease, autism, Alzheimer’s, cancer, Parkinson’s disease, and even depression. The Science Behind Sulforaphane Sulforaphane inhibits the ability of the enzyme epicatechins to bind to a cell surface receptor called HTK5. This is the cellular receptor that causes harmful inflammation. So, by having less ability to bind to this receptor, Sulforaphane stops inflammation from occurring. Sulforaphane also stops the conversion of vitamin K2 into potassium by blocking a receptor called potassium-dependent protein kinase kinase (KRPK) and the inhibition of this enzyme stops blood clots.
Using Sulforaphane on Cancer. Interestingly, the cancer-fighting effects of sulforaphane aren’t always beneficial on their own. Almost all cancer foods including nuts, seeds, berries, greens, soy, fish, blueberries, chia seeds, coffee, tea, and supplements contain selenium and sulforaphane (the plant version). I have said this many times. The only ones who do not eat cancer-fighting foods like these are cancer patients. Study. Researchers have found that sulforaphane makes cancer cells more susceptible to chemical agents. That’s what makes foods high in sulforaphane such good cancer fighters. We know that many cancers feed off of chemical “waste” that is created when normal cells get damaged. However, the research team found that mice fed regular chow also fed high levels of sulforaphane and were exposed to high levels of hydrogen peroxide, a chemical that damages the DNA of cancer cells.
How Do You Maximize Sulforaphane?
Tomato leaves (sauteed with chopped garlic), carrots, and greens are probably your best bets, Dr. Luhrmann said. He added that kale and spinach contain the best Sulforaphane concentrations—and you don’t have to overcook them to get the highest levels. The key is to cook, and the best method is steaming, sous vide, or tossing the leaves in olive oil and roasting them. The toughest one to cook is the sweet potato; it’s got the highest concentration of Sulforaphane, but it’s tough to digest, so you’re better off cooking the white potato and adding them to a salad, Luhrmann said.
For liver-protecting food, Dr. Luhrmann said you can’t beat eating eggs. But if you’re trying to follow the Paleo diet, you’re out of luck. (Unless you like a little sausage with your grits, or eat very few animal products.) But if you don’t want to eat animals at all, Luhrmann added that eggs are high in proteins and shouldn’t be entirely off-limits. And even though it’s not exactly the same as green.
Do Broccoli Sprouts Supplements Work?
The answer: There is not enough evidence to make any general recommendations, but is there a potential advantage of having more broccoli sprouts in the diet. One 2011 study found that broccoli sprouts might help reduce urinary tract infections (UTIs). In this study, participants were given either 600 mg of broccoli sprouts or a placebo before and after six visits to the doctor for a UTI. The placebo group took fewer antibiotics in the days following their UTI than did the broccoli sprouts group. The researchers noted that the trial was small and that further studies are needed. However, they also pointed out that further studies of this kind are needed for lots of other nutrients, too, not just dietary supplements. Other Benefits of Broccoli Sprouts. Consuming cruciferous vegetables is thought to provide other health benefits, including reducing cancer risk.
One way to protect yourself against a tick bite is to apply a homemade repellent called a DEET or oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE). This can be an oily substance rubbed into your skin or a repellent spray or cream. Chemical-based repellents may be safer and more effective for children and pets but there have been reports of children developing rashes when they accidentally touch skin irritants with their bare hands or eyes.
DEET and OLE repellents are not effective against the tick-borne disease that causes Lyme Disease or other tick-borne illnesses. The purpose of a chemical repellent is to keep bugs and ticks away from human skin, not to protect you from tick-borne illnesses. A number of natural products have been developed as tick repellents. Some use natural oils such as eucalypt.
Does Sulforaphane Cause Weight Gain?
Carbohydrates, fats, and fiber all impact our body weight. However, it has been suggested that sulfur-containing compounds like Sulfnafthoxib have an effect on appetite control and weight gain. Research conducted by Gabriele Oettingen, the Director of the Well-Being and Eating Research Laboratory at New York University, and her colleagues has shown that our bodies are actually responding to a complex mix of potential factors that influence appetite, including carbohydrate intake, fat intake, fiber intake, insulin sensitivity, and glycemic control.
Also, it should be noted that all plants contain Sulforaphane, including onions, parsley, and garlic, and we can gain benefits from a few veggies without any special supplement. So, is there any truth to the reports that supplementing with Sulforaphane helps you to lose weight? Research does support this, as supplementing with Sulforaphane may lead to weight loss. Using a research-based comparative approach, Oettingen’s team analyzed the data on more than 3,400 people who took an herbal supplement for one year, with the results published in 2015 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Sulforaphane Supplement vs Broccoli Sprouts
When comparing a sulforaphane supplement to broccoli sprouts, it is important to understand the key differences between the two in terms of their composition, bioavailability, and potential health benefits.
Sulforaphane is a bioactive compound found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli sprouts. It is formed when a precursor compound called glucoraphanin comes into contact with an enzyme called myrosinase, which is naturally present in broccoli sprouts. Sulforaphane has gained attention due to its potential health-promoting properties, including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anticancer effects.
Broccoli sprouts, on the other hand, are a natural source of glucoraphanin and myrosinase. Consuming fresh broccoli sprouts provides a means of obtaining both the precursor and the enzyme necessary for sulforaphane production in the body.
Sulforaphane supplements, on the other hand, are typically derived from broccoli extracts that have undergone processing to concentrate the compound. These supplements are designed to provide a standardized dose of sulforaphane without the need for myrosinase activation.
While sulforaphane supplements offer convenience and a consistent dosage, the bioavailability of sulforaphane from supplements may be lower compared to consuming fresh broccoli sprouts. The myrosinase enzyme in the sprouts helps convert more glucoraphanin into sulforaphane, potentially increasing its absorption and availability to the body.
However, it is worth noting that the actual sulforaphane content in broccoli sprouts can vary depending on several factors, including the specific variety of sprouts, growing conditions, and storage methods. Additionally, individual variations in metabolism and gut bacteria may affect the conversion of glucoraphanin to sulforaphane.
Ultimately, the choice between a sulforaphane supplement and broccoli sprouts depends on individual preferences and circumstances. Those seeking a standardized dose and convenience may opt for a sulforaphane supplement, while others may prefer the natural source of glucoraphanin and myrosinase provided by broccoli sprouts. Incorporating a variety of cruciferous vegetables, including broccoli sprouts, into the diet remains a valuable strategy for obtaining a range of beneficial compounds, including sulforaphane, for overall health and wellness.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Best Way to Absorb Sulforaphane?
The best way to enhance the absorption of sulforaphane, a bioactive compound found in cruciferous vegetables, is by consuming it in combination with an enzyme called myrosinase. Myrosinase is naturally present in these vegetables and helps convert a precursor compound called glucoraphanin into sulforaphane. When broccoli or other cruciferous vegetables are chopped, crushed, or chewed, myrosinase is activated, leading to the formation of sulforaphane.
To optimize sulforaphane absorption, it is recommended to consume cruciferous vegetables raw or lightly cooked. Heating methods like boiling or microwaving for extended periods may reduce myrosinase activity and subsequently lower sulforaphane production. Steaming or stir-frying for a short duration can help preserve myrosinase activity to a greater extent.
Additionally, including a source of vitamin C alongside cruciferous vegetables may further enhance sulforaphane absorption. Vitamin C can stabilize and protect myrosinase, facilitating the conversion of glucoraphanin into sulforaphane.
It is important to note that individual variations in gut bacteria and metabolism may also influence the absorption and utilization of sulforaphane. However, incorporating raw or lightly cooked cruciferous vegetables, optimizing myrosinase activity, and combining them with a source of vitamin C can maximize the potential absorption of sulforaphane and support its health-promoting effects.
Our Verdict. Are Sulforaphane Supplements Effective?
If you’ve read this article, you know that some sulforaphane supplements are effective, and not all of them can address the same issues.
For instance, BrocElite, with its Stabilized™ formula, is the most powerful supplement in this review. This supplement is good for people with intense pain or chronic issues.
On the other hand, if you don’t have pressing health problems, but need an affordable supplement because you’re not eating enough green veggies, consider the affordable Best Naturals.
Avmacol and Thorne Crucera (soon to be discontinued) are the top two supplements in this review because they’re devised with high-grade ingredients and have been part in a wide range of clinical trials to prove they work in a series of conditions.
Take advantage of Avmacol’s researched benefits against autism and chronic illness and get it now. In case if you find our data and details misleading or inappropriate, then you are always free to contact us.