Zinc is an essential mineral that plays a major role in preserving optimal physical and mental health. Zinc’s importance for numerous enzymatic processes, immune system support, wound healing, and DNA synthesis can’t be understated.
Furthermore, Zn has been scientifically proven to have multiple advantages for skin and hair conditions – which explains why it is found in many oral supplements as well as topical products.
Zinc supplements have been proven to reduce inflammation, boost collagen production, and further your immune system – all of which can drastically improve skin for longevity and hair health.
In this article, we will dissect the best zinc supplementation for optimal skin, hair, and immune performance in addition to examining scientific data that confirms its efficacy.
Table of Contents
Why is Zinc an Essential Nutrient for Human Health?
Zinc is an essential mineral in the body, with it being present in almost every cell. This reveals how crucial zinc can be to keep our bodies working properly and optimally.
Not only that, but zinc is also the second most common trace mineral inside of us – a true testament to its significance!
- Zinc is an essential mineral that has a multitude of roles to play in our bodies. To highlight its importance, here are just a few of those roles:
- Over 300 enzymes depend on it for essential nerve function, metabolism, digestion, and other body processes.
- Immunity relies on the development and proper functioning of immune cells, making them an indispensable part of our health.
- The importance of skin health, including wound healing, cannot be understated.
- Vitally important for both protein production and DNA synthesis, this essential element plays a pivotal role in the body’s functioning.
- Essential for ensuring healthy gustatory and olfactory senses.
Ensuring your body has the correct amount of Zn is essential for healthy growth and development. This is because this mineral plays a crucial role in cell division and expansion.
Types of Zinc Supplements
When it comes to selecting the ideal zinc supplement for you, there is an abundance of brands available as well as various types. What’s more, which sort of Zn will be most effective depends on your specific condition.
Thus, carefully assessing what product works best with your body type and goals helps to ensure that you receive maximum results!
There are several forms of zinc that you can find used in supplements today. Here’s a look at some of the most common types:
- Gluconate. This is the most commonly available form of zinc that is used in over-the-counter medications. Zinc gluconate is often found in supplements meant for cold remedies, such as nasal sprays and lozenges.
- Acetate. It is a powerful form of Zn that helps to reduce cold and flu symptoms while also accelerating the recovery process. It is commonly found in lozenges designed for colds.
- Orotate. It is joined with orotic acid, making it one of the most popular forms used in zinc supplements.
- Picolinate. Studies have proved that our bodies can easily absorb zinc picolinate more effectively than other forms of zinc. Zinc picolinate is widely used for treating acne, strengthening the immune system, and helping to eliminate toxins from the body.
- Sulfate. This form powerfully prevents zinc deficiencies, but it can also provide an additional benefit: minimizing the severity of acne.
- Citrate. Clinical research has revealed that zinc citrate is easily absorbed by the body. One of the major advantages of this form of zinc is its pleasant taste – it’s much less bitter than other sources. As a result, you can enjoy all the benefits without it being unpleasant for your palate!
When deciding which form of zinc best suits you, several things must be taken into account. If price is a major factor, then zinc gluconate might suit your needs perfectly.
However, if increasing the absorption rate by your body is at the top of your list, then choosing zinc picolinate would be most beneficial—though it comes with an additional cost.
You can choose zinc supplements in various forms, such as tablets, capsules, lozenges, and sprays. Your selection is solely dependent on personal preference. Be mindful though: some nasal zinc sprays may lead to a lack of smell; if this worries you then it might be best to avoid them.
Top 8 Zinc Supplement Brands in 2023 Review
Thorne Zinc Picolinate – Best Choice
Thorne is a trusted supplement brand that guarantees third-party certifications and employs an accomplished team of scientists. With their products, you can be sure to get what it says on the label as they go through multiple rounds of testing – something not many other brands offer in this industry! Customers trust Thorne for its high-quality standards and dependable reliability across their entire portfolio.
- Looking for a zinc supplement that meets the highest standards of safety and quality? Look no further! This product is NSF certified for sport, accredited by NSF International, and complies with TGA regulations.
- Thorne zinc capsules are perfect for almost everybody, as they are both gluten and allergen-free!
- Make the right decision for you by selecting from a 15 mg or 30 mg dosage.
- Seeking out Thorne Zinc Picolinate supplement can be a tedious task, as it’s not typically found on the shelves of your local grocery store.
- Many people have to order online.
For impressive absorption, Thorne is our top choice for the best zinc supplement on the market. Devoid of any gluten and GMOs as well as artificial preservatives, it comes in two forms — one with 30mg of zinc (on the higher end) or 15 mg. With its picolinate formula, you can rely on the maximum potency of this incredible product.
Crafted with the utmost quality and safety in mind, these zinc supplements are produced at a laboratory that complies with Therapeutic Goods Administration standards and NSF international.
For athletes who are seeking top-notch supplementation, you’ll be glad to know that this supplement is also verified by NSF Certified for Sport; thus providing assurance of being free from any banned substances.
Now Foods Zinc Glycinate Softgels – Best for Prostate
Now Foods Softgels are an economical and reliable zinc supplement that you can trust. It’s one of the top-notch chelated zinc supplements available, giving a generous amount of zinc for those who may be lacking it in their diet. However, please note that some customers have experienced disturbances to their stomach when taking this product on an empty tummy.
- This formula has a chelated agent, which increases the body’s capacity to absorb zinc.
- If you’re looking for an economical zinc supplement, this is the perfect option that can be acquired with ease.
- Countless reviews from users attest to the fact that these softgels have a neutral flavor and are easy to swallow.
- Now Foods has undergone a comprehensive third-party testing process to verify the purity and potency of its supplement.
- Unfortunately, this product is not suitable for vegan diets due to the presence of gelatin and beeswax.
- Taking 30 mg of zinc on an empty stomach can be overwhelming and may cause nausea. It’s best to stick with the recommended dosage when it comes to taking supplements.
Have you heard of chelated zinc supplements? This type of supplement contains a special chelating agent that helps your body absorb and make use of the active form more easily.
Bioavailability describes how much of the effective form actually gets utilized in your system, making it easier for you to get all the goodness from this important supplement.
Each Now Foods softgel contains 30 mg of zinc glycinate and 250 mg of pumpkin seed oil, known to support heart health and urinary tract function.
Certified by Underwriters Laboratories with Good Manufacturing Practices in place, these supplements are guaranteed safe and effective for superior quality outcomes.
Nature Made Zinc -Best Budget
Nature Made Zinc is an extraordinary value, providing a hefty 30 milligrams of zinc gluconate per serving with just one tablet. You can get this impressive dosage at an economical cost in their large bottle size which lasts over three months!
- Absolutely free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- Exceptionally economical
- Only one tablet needed for a high dose
- Polyethylene glycol may have a laxative effect
- To ensure optimal benefits, taking copper in addition to zinc over extended periods of time is recommended.
Moreover, it’s USP verified and made with 35 years of research-backed ingredients free from any artificial flavors or preservatives to ensure that everyone—even those on gluten-free diets—can benefit from Nature Made’s high-quality products.
Jarrow Formulas – Best for Immune System
Consuming too much zinc can deplete the body’s copper levels and cause anemia, as well as permanent neurological complications.
Fortunately, certain dietary supplements provide a healthy dose of both minerals together in order to avoid these issues from occurring.
Jarrow Formulas provides a safe option that anyone can take; their Zn L-Methionine Sulfate tablets contain both zinc and copper to help ensure proper nutritional intake—all conveniently found in one pill!
- NSF Certified
- Contains copper to prevent depletion
- Suitable for vegetarians/vegans
- A low dose of zinc
Jarrow’s Zinc Balance provides a safe and effective way to get your daily zinc needs. It has been certified by NSF, is suitable for vegetarians/vegans, and contains no major allergens. Its 15 mg dosage exceeds the RDA slightly and can be taken on a daily basis without worry; however, it may not provide quick relief from colds or rapidly resolve any underlying deficiencies you may have.
Pure Encapsulations – Best for Hair and Acne
This Pure Encapsulations supplement contains Zinc Picolinate. It also supports digestion and metabolism of essential nutrients and normal fetal and reproductive development.
The supplement is made with premium ingredients that are sourced from trusted suppliers, and it is carefully manufactured and tested to ensure its potency and purity. Pure Encapsulations products are free from wheat, eggs, tree nuts & peanuts, gluten, artificial colors, flavors & sweeteners, coatings and shellacs, GMOs, and unnecessary binders, fillers & preservatives.
- Supports immune system function and aids in wound healing
- Promotes digestion and metabolism of essential nutrients
- Supports normal fetal and reproductive development
- Made with premium ingredients and free from many common allergens and additives
- May cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea in some individuals if taken in excessive amounts
- May interact with certain medications, so it’s important to consult a healthcare professional before taking this supplement if you are on any medications
- May not be suitable for individuals with zinc-related medical conditions or allergies to zinc
Overall, Pure Encapsulations is designed to provide immune system support, promote growth and development, and aid in wound healing. It is made with high-quality ingredients and is free from many common allergens and additives.
Garden of Life – Best For Men
Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Zinc is the best supplement for testosterone boost and is the perfect option for vegans and those looking for a zinc supplement that only contains raw ingredients from non-animal sources.
This stand-out product offers 30 mg of zinc as well as vitamin C, live probiotics, and enzymes – all without any added artificial colors or sweeteners.
- It is the epitome of purity and safety, having undergone rigorous third-party testing to ensure it meets vegan, organic, and gluten-free standards.
- This unique zinc supplement is not your average vitamin but includes a synergistic blend of Vitamin C, digestive enzymes, and live probiotics.
- Third-party tested purity.
- Although it is pricier than other items on the list, if you are looking for vegan whole-food sources, this option will certainly be worth your while
Additionally, this capsule can be opened so that you don’t have to worry about trouble swallowing pills. Make Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw your go-to choice when it comes to selecting the best vegan zinc supplement on the market today.
Solgar Chelated – Best For Women
Solgar Chelated Zinc is a supplement that contains a patented, chelated form of zinc for optimal absorption. It provides 22mg of zinc per serving, which is 200% of the recommended daily value.
- Contains a patented, chelated form of zinc for optimal absorption
- Provides 200% of the recommended daily value of zinc per serving
- Supports a healthy immune system and promotes cell growth and DNA formation
- Contributes to healthy skin, nails, and hair by playing a role in collagen synthesis
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, Kosher, and suitable for vegans
- Made by a company committed to quality and using only the finest raw materials
- May cause gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if taken in excessive amounts
- May interact with certain medications, so it’s important to consult a healthcare professional before taking this supplement if you are on any medications.
Zinc supports a healthy immune system, exerts antioxidant activity, and promotes cell growth and DNA formation. It also contributes to healthy skin, nails, and hair by playing a role in the synthesis of collagen in bone tissue.
Solaray Calcium Magnesium Zinc – Good for PCOS
If you’ve ever been drained of energy, felt jittery or exhausted, experienced muscle aches and pains, or struggled with a weakened immune system then you may be lacking essential minerals.
Magnesium helps us regulate our endurance levels as well as keep muscles and nerves functioning properly; Calcium is necessary for strong bones and teeth but also keeps heart health in check alongside regular muscle movement.
Lastly, Zinc assists in growing cells that are integral to the growth of proteins and maintaining immunity against illnesses. All three-Mg, Ca, & Zn – are critical nutrients required for optimal well-being. So why take magnesium, zinc, and calcium together?
One study showed that pregnant women with gestational diabetes who incorporated Vitamin D with these minerals displayed reduced inflammation and oxidative stress.
Additionally, another investigation found that consuming magnesium alongside zinc may be helpful for individuals suffering from coronary heart disease or type two diabetes. Evidently, the combination of these three components is incredibly beneficial for both expectant mothers and those dealing with chronic health conditions.
- Meets daily needs for zinc, calcium, and magnesium in one supplement
- Contains additives magnesium stearate and croscarmellose sodium
Solaray Calcium Magnesium Zinc is an excellent choice as the ultimate magnesium and zinc supplement. It offers not only 100% of recommended daily allowance (RDA) for calcium (1,000 milligrams), but also 125% RDA for magnesium (500 milligrams). Additionally, its 167 percent RDA of zinc makes it a complete dietary requirement for men with 11 mg and women 8mg in this product.
With this supplement, you can rest assured that the 25 milligrams of zinc chelate it contains are just the right amount to meet your daily requirement and not exceed the maximum recommended dose of 40 milligrams per day.
Moreover, these three minerals are in an amino acid form for optimal absorption–as if they were coming from protein-rich foods. In addition, calcium and magnesium also come as blends of two or three additional forms for unparalleled potency.
Dosage and Usage. Best Time to Take Zinc Supplement
The recommended daily intake of zinc for adults is 8-11 mg per day for women and 11-14 mg per day for men. However, the optimal dosage for a zinc supplement can vary depending on individual needs and health status. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking a zinc supplement to determine the appropriate dosage.
Zinc supplements are often taken with food to aid in absorption and minimize the risk of gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea and stomach upset.
Taking zinc on an empty stomach can cause stomach irritation and may decrease absorption. Zinc supplements are best taken in divided doses throughout the day to maximize absorption and utilization by the body.
The best time to take a zinc supplement can depend on the specific form of zinc and the reason for supplementation.
For example, zinc supplements used for immune support are often taken in the morning with food to help prevent and reduce the duration of colds and other respiratory infections.
Zinc supplements used for sleep support or wound healing may be taken at night to enhance the body’s natural healing processes during sleep.
Overall, it is important to follow the recommended dosage and usage guidelines for zinc supplements and to consult with a healthcare professional before beginning any new supplement regimen.
Potential Side Effects of Zinc Supplements
Overusing zinc can lead to several uncomfortable symptoms, such as coughing, headache, fatigue, and fever.
Consuming more than 40mg of zinc daily has been associated with these flu-like effects; therefore it is important not to exceed this dosage.
Other common side effects of taking too much zinc include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach pain
Consuming too much zinc routinely can jeopardize the body’s ability to take in copper, which may result in deficiency and further medical issues. Furthermore, high levels of Zn could prevent antibiotics from being absorbed properly- rendering them far less effective.
Consequently, if you experience any negative reactions when taking zinc supplements, it is imperative that you reduce your dosage right away and consult a healthcare professional should symptoms persist.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Best Form of Zinc to Take as a Supplement?
Finding the right form of Zn to take is vital, as it should be gentle on your body while being within budget. That way you can reap all its benefits without having to worry about any drawbacks.
How Much Zinc is Too Much?
It is generally safe for adults aged 19 and over to consume up to 40 milligrams of zinc daily; however, excessive intake may lead to negative health consequences such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, loss of appetite, diarrhea, and headaches – per the NIH.
Which form of Zinc is Best Absorbed?
Zinc picolinate is regarded as the most effective source of zinc because it has such remarkable bioavailability. It can be efficiently absorbed and utilized by our bodies, making it a great option for those with zinc deficiencies or anyone looking to promote their immune system and wellness.
What Form of Zinc is Best for the Immune System?
If you’re looking to bolster your immune system and decrease the time or intensity of respiratory infections, zinc sulfate, and zinc gluconate are two efficient forms of Zn.
Research has revealed their efficaciousness in reducing cold symptoms, and so these variants can be discovered in many immune-supportive supplements.
Is it Good to Take Zinc Supplements Everyday?
Everyone’s zinc intake requirements are unique, but the suggested daily dose largely relies on one’s age.
Whether it’s January or July, a reliable zinc supplement is always beneficial. Most of us take more zinc during the cold and flu season, yet this mineral can support our immune system and well-being all year long. Make sure to include a high-quality zinc supplement in your daily routine for optimal health.
Exhaustive studies have revealed that, with the right supplementation, zinc can optimize skin health, and heart well-being and even help balance blood sugar levels.
Utilize this amazing mineral to achieve a higher level of wellness from within and outward.
- Thorne is our top choice for the best zinc supplement due to its NSF certification for sport, compliance with TGA regulations, and allergen-free formula. Its picolinate formula ensures maximum potency for impressive absorption.
- Now Foods provide an economical option for a reliable chelated zinc supplement that contains a special chelating agent for improved bioavailability. Each softgel contains 30mg of zinc glycinate and is certified by Underwriters Laboratories for safety and effectiveness.
- Nature Made offers an extraordinary value, providing a hefty 30mg of zinc gluconate per serving in just one tablet, making it exceptionally economical. It is also gluten-free and free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives, and is USP verified with 35 years of research-backed ingredients.
It is paramount that you invest in a high-grade supplementation. A low-grade, deficient dose of zinc will not provide the desired health benefits that you expect.
If you’re considering taking a zinc supplement, consult with your doctor to ensure it’s the right decision for your health. When given the go-ahead from them, be sure to invest in an authentic supplement that is guaranteed to provide all of its promised benefits.